As we work our way through our review backlog, we figured this would be a good time to review Grand Theft Auto V. Many high profile publications regarded this as a perfect game, find out what we thought in our separated single-player and multiplayer video reviews below.
- Great storytelling and cinematics.
- Many characters and stories bring extensive variety to the game.
- The game looks and performs significantly better than GTA IV on consoles.
- The story lacks depth making the main characters quite forgettable.
- Excluding GTA Online, there is effectively no replay value after completing the story.
- Load times when launching the game can be quite long.
Rockstar has once again delivered a fantastic single-player experience all around. The 30 plus hour story brings much variety to keep you interested throughout. It may not be the most memorable experience but it certainly is worthwhile to play.
- Free roam the city with up to 16 players.
- Customize vehicles, weapons and your character.
- Very few unique missions, most of them are simplistic races or deathmatch modes.
- Making money is very difficult effectively forcing you to pay real money or find exploits.
- Finding missions is unreliable at best, lobbies with over 2-3 players tends to be excessively rare.
- Attempting to play with friends is frustrating with random drops, failing to join or simply splitting the group on multiple games.
- If you fail to join a multiplayer game, the waiting and loading times are atrocious as the game bounces you back to single-player.
Ever since GTA III players have loved the idea of a multiplayer so much that several modifications like Multi Theft Auto where made. When GTA IV re-introduced officially supported multiplayer, it was quite underwhelming considering the modifications did so much more. This time around Rockstar was more ambitious but in the end we got what feels like an early beta with promises of more to come…
Play time: 3d 11h 35m reported by game, this includes several hours of idle time.
~ 38 h Single-player ~ 40 h Multiplayer
Last played: Feb 21, 2014
Version: 1.10 – Feb 15, 2014
Acquisition: 59.99$ – PSN pre-order on Aug 8, 2013